Google Translate

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Shiny Happy People


Shiny Happy People


I think that i've written before that everything that i researched has turned out to be wrong.  

Information that comes out of this country is all suspect.  You don't know where it comes from even if it appears to be from verifiable sources.  You simply don’t know where the information is from, what the age of it is, and whether or not it’s at all accurate.  I have mentioned that many things turned out to be different, but I thought that at least some of what I had researched would come out to have been good, that’s turning out to not be the case, more and more.

I’ve been quite frustrated with my school.  I’m not getting anywhere.  I’ve hit a block, and I can’t get past it, and I don’t know what the problem is.  I went into my course on Thursday or Friday, can’t remember which day, and I got an earful from my professor.  Apparently, I am an awful student, I’m making the same mistakes over and over again, even though she doesn’t tell me when I’m making the mistakes, and I came within inches of throwing it all back in her face.  Instead, I cancelled my classes, and went for a walk.

While I was walking around Futian CBD (central business district) I was approached by a random guy selling mandarin lessons.  He asked me if I wanted a free lesson, I said sure, and went up to their school.  In my 20 minute free mandarin lesson, I learned more than I have in the past week at my school.  I asked questions, and was fairly convinced that my teacher was completely unqualified.  The teachers at Jiahua are all actual teachers.  They know what they’re doing.  Unfortunately, I knew that I had time left on my account, and I didn’t want to commit to anything.  I decided on Saturday to go to Nanshan and check out the school there.  That school was even more impressive.  Jaihua was started by a Canadian guy who loves china and never wants to leave.  He saw what they were doing in mandarin schools, how they teach westerners like Chinese are taught, and the truth is, that we do not think or learn things the same way that Chinese people do.  We can’t.  There are enough differences here that that shouldn’t be a surprise, but it’s just one more thing that seems hard to believe.  I talked to my sales manager and booked an appointment.

So, Friday, I learned how much more of my research wasn’t any good.  It turns out that the school that I picked, with all of the great reviews, and all that good stuff, actually has a brilliant marketing department.  Their marketing manager is beyond lazy, he’s actually in sales, but can’t be bothered to do that part of his job, so, he just lies about his stats and does other things to bring in more money and customers.  For example, this school is supposed to have cultural events every month.  They haven’t had one since I started, and they’ve had exactly one since my friend started.  The corporate office provides a fund for cultural activities, he writes the reports, and keeps the money.  Also, apparently, the marketing manager has a VPN that allows him to log in from different IP addresses and countries, and thus allows him to write multiple reviews on multiple sites.   

When I was researching, and getting information from and about the school, I was informed that they have cultural events, they teach culture, their teachers are all qualified, they have experience teaching English speaking students Mandarin.  This is not the case at this school.  Actually, I think they have 1 qualified teacher, and everything else you have to figure out on your own…good luck!

At jiahua, every Monday and Wednesday they have cultural corner where (for free I might add) you can go and learn culture from a teacher who loves his/her culture so much she/he wants to share it.  They offer free tutoring during this time, and you get to meet other students and network.  They have bbq’s at the school, where you get to meet other students, network, and set up study sessions if you’re so inclined.  There’s an area to kick back, relax, and meet other students.  They are signed up with an international organization for networking that you can join after you learn mandarin for a while. 
So, I was sold.  I decided to start looking at apartments.

Thomas was with me, so I had a built in translator….of sorts.  He’s been here for 4 months, lives in a pure Chinese neighborhood, and is quite good at the language, although he still has a ways to go.  But, he still does very well.  We walked around Nanshan for a while looking at apartments and we noticed something else about the area that was more than a little strange.  People would smile at you.  There were no dirty looks.  By way of example, in Futian on my way to my bank (a 15-20 minute walk based on how motivated you are that day), I started paying attention to my surroundings.  By the time I hit my bank, I had encountered something around 15 dirty looks.  I usually ignore it.  In Nanshan though, we didn’t receive one.  People smiled at us.  People were happy when we attempted to speak Mandarin.  I got corrected a couple of times in a nice way, they helped Thomas out to an amazing degree and did not make fun of him at all for anything he said, they just suggested other ways to get his point across.  People are happy in Nanshan.  The expats in Nanshan are happy.  I talked to expats and they said hi, some even had conversations with me.  Weird….it creeped both Thomas and I out.  Nanshan is how I expected China to be.

We looked at apartments.  The prices were unbelievably reasonable in comparison with Luohu and Futian, actually, the word ‘cheap’ comes to mind.  I found an apartment in Nanshan that is 140 sq m for the same price that I’m paying for 76 sq m in Futian.  The furniture is all modern.  It has hardwood floors that are sealed, showers that work, beds that are made of brick and don’t give in the least, beautiful furnishings, a jade statue of a dragon boat, I’m in love.  It’s actually a nicer apartment than any I have ever seen in the usa or Canada, let alone china.  I’ve never seen anything like it, and neither has Thomas, who has far more experience than I do.  So, after a full day of looking, haggling, and playing, I now have an apartment in Nanshan. 

So, you might ask yourself, at this stage, what is he going to do with the place in Futian?  Well, there’s a clause on every contract that states that if you don’t pay your rent within 10 days, they kick you out.  What you don’t realize is that this doesn’t affect you in any way.  You can’t build credit in china.  You’re not going to be asking your landlord for a reference, they probably won’t give you one even if they do like you.  What Chinese people usually do, is clear out of their apartment, move into the next place, make sure that everything is out, then go to the landlord, drop off the key, say  that you have a new job somewhere else, and leave.  They can’t stop you, and, because I will be doing this with google translate at my side (i.e. I’m going to the hyatt to print out a page saying what I want it to say, then I’m going to leave), and they don’t know how to get ahold of me. 

In addition to being a nice neighborhood with people who are happy to help you to learn Chinese, it is also the last place in the world that Mei would think to find me, so, that’s good for me too.  I have a translator who has agreed to help me get all of my utilizes, (internet, tv, etc) switched to the new place on Friday, so, I may be without internet for a couple of days, but I’m okay with that too.  Just sucks that I have to pack things up, the nice thing is that I have no desire go anywhere else, this should be it for me, it has everything that I want, is a 10 minute walk from my school and a major mall and the largest book store I have seen in my entire life….probably five to eight times the size of the ones in the usa, can’t remember what they’re called, barnes and noble or something.

I spent some time with my friend Zane today.  He is Canadian, from the eastern side, and makes me laugh, he’s got that mix of Seinfeld sense of humour combined with Monty Python.  He asked me today if I was a spy.  He says that every time he sees me I’m living somewhere else.  I think I need to stop, fortunately, this apartment is a good one to stop with.  I just have to find a place that sells mattresses.  I don’t understand the thought behind manufacturing a bed that’s actually harder than your floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment