Google Translate

Thursday, February 14, 2013

No More Stairs......Please???


Mei and I were coming out of the metro walking towards where I would soon be renting, and we came across another mixed couple, a giant American (6’5”, about 260-280 lbs), and a Chinese girl, and I said hi.  We started talking and I learned that Bob works for Fox-Con, which is a HUGE company here.  They employ 350,000 people in Shenzhen in the tech sector.  We have actually been spending the past 3 or 4 days together hanging out, the girls get along well, and Bob is far more laid back than most that I’ve met here, he’s in his 60’s, but is as fascinated by the culture as I am.  He works here for a couple of months, then goes back to Texas, and waits for the call back to Shenzhen. 
I had an interesting talk with him yesterday, he asked how long I had been here, and I said that I had been here for about 3 weeks.  He asked me if I had gone to “decompress” yet.  I’ve learned that most Americans here go to Hong Kong every 3 weeks to a month to just get out of China and relax for a bit.  The sheer amount of people, the constant noise, the strange environment, the amount of people, the food, the amount of people, get to you after a while.  I’m just about there, and will probably be heading to HK to relax in a week or so. 
Interestingly enough, HK also gets movies before they release anywhere else.  I have a friend who went to see Die Hard on February 8th, I am thinking that I may go see that next week as well.  I have to look into where to go to see it.  Most people want to go to Victoria Park, and revel in the pure quiet, and complete lack of noise.  I suspect that after new years, when construction begins, I’m going to need to do the same.  They’re building a new building next to my apartment, it was going to be 60 stories, but, they’ve now decided that they want the tallest building in China, so, they are digging the foundation down further.  The design is something else, it actually looks like a giant phallic symbol, I think that the architect should be shot.  Everyone who looks at it sees exactly the same thing.  I do love the fact that here every building is different.  There’s a new design for everything.  Buildings are also built in 2 months, which is impressive.  This is a combination of 2 things.  First of all, the workday is 6 am to 12 am (which means you have 6 hours to get a good nights sleep if you’re next door), and second, the Chinese don’t finish off the floors.  They only finish off the floors that are sold.  This enables the buyer to have their apartment or office built to their specifications, and also significantly lowers the expense of building.
While I was eating the other day (chicken foot soup – I hate chicken feet, they have no meet, just skin and fat, and I don’t enjoy it at all), Mei asked me why I only ate with one hand, I said that it was polite in Canada.  She said that the Chinese always eat with 2 hands, and that they always wonder what that other hand is doing, that perhaps you’re being sneaky, or you don’t like what you’re eating.  So, you have one hand with a spoon, one with chopsticks, and you can shovel things onto the spoon to eat with that as well.  It’s somewhat of an adjustment for me.
I have written a ton about culture, which some have been amazed that I have accumulated over the past 3 weeks.  It’s not all first hand experience, but from others that I have met here.  It is quite easy to see how these things apply, though, once you know about them, and you can check the information given.  The trick is learning who to listen to and who to ignore completely.  There are some real losers here, but there are also some real winners and real entrepreneurs.  The ability to read which person is which is very important, but there are some losers who also have their uses, when trying to figure out how to best use your facilitation expense.
Bob’s fiancee’s sister is in town with her 3 little kids and husband.  They have two girls who are 4 and 6, and a boy who is 5.  They’re all very cute, very well behaved (unusually so), and this is their first visit to a real city in China.  The whole family is very enamored of the metro line.  Mei is helping to herd the kids around, and they’ve latched onto the two of us.  Mei wanted to get the kids a gift from her and I as they leave tomorrow, but with all of the shops closed, it is a little difficult.  We took them to Walmart, and the first thing that they wanted were pencil cases.  Apparently, their’s is broken, hard to open, and they need the pencil case.  I said that that wasn’t much fun, and that they can get the pencil case as long as they all pick out a toy as well.  We spent a couple hours in Walmart finding the perfect toys.  The two girl’s got some big stuffed animals, and the little boy got a little dart gun.  It was fun seeing how excited that they got.  We had to stop the days activities to drop by the apartment and drop everything off.
Mei is now mopping the apartment while we take a break….there is absolutely nothing better than dating a Chinese woman, unless you don’t like somewhat clingy women, if that’s the case, you’re not going to like it here.  The positives vastly outweigh the negatives, so, learn to love the crazy.  I’m also getting a lesson in culture that most don’t seem to get.   Mei is from the Hunan province, which is north of Beijing and is where Chairman Mao is from.  The northern Chinese pretty much worship Mao, about half the southerners hate him with a passion, history books can’t seem to decide one way or the other, so, it’s best to just smile and nod when his name is brought up, mention that you were educated in North America and thus don’t know the perspective…stay out of the politics, as they are even more volatile here than they are in the USA or Canada.
I tried a different version of chickenfoot today, barbecued, it was truly awful.  Bob loves it though, I think he must be cracked.  It’s still beyond me, he says that he loves sucking the flavor off, I hate picking out the bones, and the texture drives me insane.  Looks like this is something that I’m not going to be able to pull off, it’s considered to be lucky to eat, I’m prepared to deal with bad luck if I can avoid eating any more.
 At 3 pm we decided that it was time for an easy walk around a lake.  I’m starting to learn that with these women, there is no such thing as easy, or walking, there are stairs, and stairs, and more stairs.  Bob counted 250 stairs, during the first portion, I would estimate there there were at least a thousand.  We climbed up stair after stair before finding a Buddhist monastery, with another couple thousand people who took the easy way, I guess they didn’t want to climb to two mountain peaks first, I really wish I had been with them.  At the monastery we got our prayer sticks, lit them from candles set aside for lighting the sticks, then stood in front of the statue of Buddha with the sticks pressed against our foreheads.  We thought about the good goals that we had for the year, and concentrated on those, whispering them while looking to Buddha for inspiration.  Goals like health, happiness, success, etc.  we bowed to Buddha, then placed them in a cauldron full of sand, so that they stayed lit, and the smoke was everywhere.  If your lungs can survive the experience, I’d highly recommend it.  We hiked up another couple hundred steps going to the various different poses of Buddha, past the teachings of Buddha, and contemplated the lessons that he gave (I couldn’t comprehend the characters, so, I just wandered around and took in the sights.  Mei went to every opening and murmured her goals with her prayer sticks still in hand, I felt disrespectful wandering around with them, so I placed them in the cauldron provided when we first entered.  The smoke all the way through was intense, as was the headache that I gained from the experience.  We then walked down to the lake, and then up to a Buddhist garden with 240 different types of cactus that they grew there, it looked like Arizona.
Finally, we decided that it was time to call it a day, and made the 3 mile journey back to the busses.  We got in line with everyone else, and managed to catch the second bus out of there, miracle of all miracles.  On our way home, we stopped at FuQing Long Restaurant, which turned out to be very, very good.  That done, we said goodbye to the children, who are going home tomorrow, promised to visit them in their tiny village sometime this year, and finally got home.
I’ve spent the past 5 days hiking in the mountains here…hiking meaning that I’ve climbed stairs beyond number, and I think I’m about done in for the day…possibly the week.  Tomorrow I’m going to be signing the lease agreement, attempting to set up utilities (who knows), then we’re doing a valentines dinner at a Korean restaurant.  All that I can seem to think is, “Please, please, please….let there be no stairs tomorrow, I need a day of rest!!”

No comments:

Post a Comment