Google Translate

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

2 weeks in China, and I got arrested……

Don’t worry, I’m fine.  Here’s the story:
Last night, I found out that the Chinese price on my apartment is 5,000 RMB, I’m paying 10,000, and the real estate guy said that we couldn’t bargain because the owner was out of town.  I was supposed to pay the deposit today of 30,000 RMB, but they actually wanted 38,000 RMB, cash.  I refuse to walk around with that kind of money, it’s unsafe…everywhere.  So, I thought I would have a friend and his Chinese friend, i.e. interpreter try to bargain down the rate before going to the bank, together, again, I’m not getting that kind of cash together and going for a ride on a subway, or taxi. 
Next thing you know, things are out of control, everyone is yelling, and that’s when I find out that my rental agent was taking a huge kickback for the deal.  His English went away during this time as well.  We argued for a good 2 hours, the owner left, and the real estate agent decided to go talk on his phone on the balcony for an hour.  At this point, we decided it was time to escape the contract.  There is a clause in the contract that if you don’t pay the rent within 5 days, then they keep the deposit.  I figured that that was a 4,000 RMB lesson, and I could afford to do that.  The real estate agent stopped talking to us, and the owner was nowhere to be found, so, we got up and left, took all of my baggage and went out to catch a cab.  On our way out, the real estate guy, Standy Li, (never ever use him, I will post his name, company, email address, etc later on, at the bottom), said that he was calling the cops.  We ignored him and walked out.
We hailed a cab, shoved all of my luggage in, and climbed on board.  Meanwhile, outside the cab, the landlord, her friend, the real estate agent, and some random old guy (a witness, maybe?) were yelling, standing in front of the cab so that we couldn’t move.  We offered the cab driver a 100 RMB tip to get us out of there, he tried reversing, and the landlord’s friend ripped open the door.  So, obviously we weren’t going to get anywhere.
We unpacked the cab, and put all my luggage on the side of the street to wait for the police.  Our interpreter was still with us, thank goodness, and he was giving me advice, along with Thomas, also very grateful, and I think that this experience is going to cost me in favours for the rest of the year!
2 hours later, the cops showed up.  The landlord told her story, the interpreter told ours, and the cop said that he didn’t care, didn’t want to get involved, and walked away.
20 minutes later, a car pulled up, and I was told to get into the back.  (I’ll post pics of me arrested in the back of the car later).  The interpreter came with me, and Thomas hailed a cab with my girlfriend, Mei.  He dropped Mei off at a hotel, I don’t know what it’s called, I’m writing from it right now, I have no idea where we are, we’re just nowhere near the hyatt, so I can’t be found by the real estate agent and the landlord.  We got off at the local police station, and met with a mediator.  It turned out that he has no authority, so a captain-ish mediator was called in. 
We had been at the cop shop for about 3 hours by this time, and Standy decided to leave and send his partner in to deal with all of the craziness.  His partner walked up to us, told us he had a foreign lawyer that he was going to call, and started yelling at us for being bad people, talking about how there are laws, blah, blah, blah, I’m protected, you’re going to pay, etc.
We went back into the room and argued some more.  They turned to me and asked at this point what I thought that the apartment was worth.  I told them that I didn’t want to live somewhere where my landlord would have hard feelings against me.  I still don’t think that it’s a good idea.  They offered to settle if I paid them another 6,000 RMB, but for that price, I could get a lawyer and have him take them apart.  Their willingness to keep changing their offer for the contract breach fee told me that I was in the right, and that they didn’t have a chance.  I have no idea if that was a reality, or if that’s just how I feel after 4 hours in a police station.
Thomas called one of his contacts here, he’s not a lawyer, but he’s high up in the city, I’ll leave it at that.  This guy showed up with 2 big friends, they were all wearing casual clothes, and leather jackets.  They walked in, yelled for 15 minutes, and got everything taken care of.  The mediator filled out a report, I signed my name (kind of), and stamped my fingerprint on it. 
I’m out of the contract, and tomorrow I need to change my phone number.  Apparently, because I’m a foreigner, and nobody knows how to find me, the hassle will go away.  Because they hadn’t officially charged me with anything, they couldn’t hold me, so Thomas’s friend said, “just walk out”, and we left the police station.
The amazing part?  It’s 9 pm right now.  What a long, long day.  I need to go out and socialize, and thank a pile of people who made everything work out in the end.  I’ll have to look up Standy’s contact stuff later, I have to go now.

No comments:

Post a Comment