Google Translate

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

I’m Mobile!!

I’m Mobile!!


A couple of weeks ago, I finally decided that I needed some sort of transportation.  Taxis are hard to come by near my place, so, it’s black taxi’s only, and only when they’re around.  I have waited around up to 45 minutes for a real taxi to show up.  So, I started going out to the market to find out what was available.  I also had to go to the police station to look into what is legal and what is not.  Scooters and motorcycles are illegal in Shenzhen.  Some E-Bikes are also illegal in Shenzhen, apparently, they have to be easy to pedal when the power is turned off, and the wheels have to be under a certain size.  So, I went back to the store, and found the legal version.

Something that I don’t really understand, is why scooters are illegal, as are motorcycles, and a variety of other things, but they’re all sold out in the open.  If they were really serious, I believe that they would shut down the shops.  I believe that it’s a cash grab for local law enforcement, they get to take your bike away, then resell it, but that’s just an assumption, I don’t actually know.  I also know quite a few people who have had their transportation taken away from them, but, I don’t know anyone who has been fined for riding illegal transportation

Anyway, I purchased and immediately started riding my E-Bike.  I’ll post pictures soon, probably at the bottom of this.  It’s a fantastic little bike.  It has 3 mode settings, one is complete manual, which allows you to trickle charge the battery while riding, the middle is under power and you can still assist the small motor using the pedals when going uphill.  On the middle selection, it does 15-20 mph, which I have decided is fast enough.  It also has a high output setting, I haven’t used it at all yet, it’s quick, probably gets up around the 25-30 mph mark.  I have zero desire to go that fast though.
The streets in china, while paved, are not smooth.  There’s lots, and lots, and lots of potholes, rough pavement, etc.  You really do need to avoid manhole covers as they are known to cave in, even if just a little at times, when you run them over with a car, I suspect that’s a highly unpleasant sensation on a bicycle.  Additionally, since you don’t need a special license to ride these things, they are considered to have no laws.  You can’t get a fine for running a red light, or going from street to sidewalk, etc.  You can quite literally ride it however you want, and if you pay attention to the rest of them (and there are a lot of people on bikes and illegal scooters everywhere), you’ll notice that they rarely show any sign of self-preservation.  It actually seems fairly unsafe, but, I actually shoulder check, and watch my surroundings.  People think I’m crazy for doing so… “That’s not how you drive a scooter!!” is what I’ve been told!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was a bit of an odd day today.  On my way to school, I stopped beside a new cafe to try out their wraps and fruit juices.  It’s some sort of health cafe.  I don’t get why it’s called a cafe, they don’t have coffee or tea, only juices, but, perhaps “Health Cafe” is just a clever name.  I pulled up on my E-Bike, locked it up, but the lock on the back wheel, ordered, and sat down to wait for my food and my carrot juice to come out.  As I was sitting there, a Bao-an walked up and started looking very intently at my bike.  There was no one else around, so it was very obvious that it was mine, and it was also very obvious that he knew it was mine, due to the fact that he kept looking at me while he was messing around with it.  I didn’t say anything though.

(I should mention that a Bao-an is like a security guard.  Popular opinion treats him more like a mall security guard, but with even less authority.  Most people here ignore them, it’s a very low paid job, they usually have another job aside from security, and, in many cases, the bulk of their job is spent sleeping.  Unlike most, I have some degree of respect for some of them, those who actively try to do their job, but definitely not most of them, who I think are mostly useless.)

(I should also mention that when you lock up your bike here, you must use a U-shaped bike lock through your spokes so it doesn’t get stolen.  Anything unlocked will be stolen, very quickly.)

The Bao-an then looked directly at me, and kicked off the center stand, then tried to wheel the bike away.  I started yelling at him in Chinese at this point.

“Look you Moron, can’t you see that there’s a lock on the back wheel?  Are you trying to break my bike?  Do you have any degree of intelligence?  Stop it right now, and get away from it you useless jerk.” 

(I should also mention that I used much, much stronger language than that, but, it doesn't translate, so, you’re going to get the PG version.)

Now, you may think that it was poor form to go immediately to ensuring that it was a very personal attack.  Also, you may think that it was improper of me to do so in Chinese to ensure that he understood me.  But, there is a reason.  First off, if you speak in English, all the Chinese people near you will think that you’re insulting all Chinese people.  If I laid a hand on him, even grabbing him, I would have been in a fight for my life as I would have been swarmed with Chinese people.  When I say that there was no one around, that’s figuratively.  There’s never, ever “no one around”, there was just only a few people around, but, you can be sure that they would have jumped me if I played things differently.  By using Chinese and yelling at him, I showed those around me that I was a local.  By making sure that everyone knew that I thought that HE was a useless moron, and not that Chinese people are useless morons, I just spoke popular opinion.  As soon as I spoke up, I immediately had the attention of everyone in earshot, and I yelled to make sure that everyone close-by could hear what I said so that there was zero miscommunication.  This is how you deal with problems of this sort in China:

    1. Be LOUD
    2.  Make it personal
    3. Make sure there is no miscommunication
    4. Make sure that the person has less authority than you do
    5. Speak the local language


After he left, with his head hung low, I moved my bike to where he indicated that it should go. 
Now, here’s the thing, if I hadn’t spoken up, he would have broken my e-bike, knowing that that was exactly what he was doing.  He also was well aware that he could break a foreigner’s bike, because he doesn’t think that there were any consequences.  Of course, if I had called the police, he would have had to replace my bike, and probably spent some quality time in jail.  I would have received a warning for parking in a place that I wasn’t allowed to do so (I didn’t know, there’s no signs, which is why I would have gotten a warning.), but he didn’t realize any of this.

China is interesting.  You’ll find that many men here do not like foreigners.  It’s important to know that these men tend to be poorly educated, and see foreigners as coming here to take jobs, and to be competition to women.  This Bao-an is in that category.  What became immediately clear to him during our confrontation was that I understood and spoke Chinese, and that I understand and can use the Chinese culture.  Because I’m a foreigner, I don’t have “face” according to the uneducated.  So, if he gets into an argument with me, and he wins, he doesn’t gain any “face”, actually, he’ll still lose face, because it’s obvious to all who see me in this situation that I understand the culture and am abiding by its rules.  If he loses, he loses a lot of face.  His only option is to get away from the situation as soon as possible, which is why he put his head down, and walked as fast as he could away from me.  I’ve come to the conclusion that men here fit into one of the following categories:
  1.  Poorly educated, low to low-middle income, hate foreigners
  2.  Lightly educated, middle management, dislike foreigners
  3.  University educated, want foreigner friends who can help them get ahead either through networking, or helping to improve their English.
  4.  Master’s degree, sometimes like, sometimes dislike foreigners, but, open to actual friendship, as long as there is business networking opportunities, or business opportunities available.



Perhaps this list will change over time, just going off of my experience thus far.  It’s funny though, I have many friends who are expats here and very, very few have a good friend who is a Chinese male.  The women here tend to be far more open minded about friendship and having foreigners as friends.  I have quite a few female friends here who I have zero interest in as anything other than a friend.  I have actually had exactly this conversation with more than a few of the Chinese friends that I do have here with regards to how many Chinese men view foreigners.  A good portion of my list above, are conclusions that we came to together.

No comments:

Post a Comment